Friday, February 17, 2012

Megadeth and Santorum

You gotta wonder whether Obama's in serious trouble when the most pro-life candidate gets an endorsement from MEGADEATH. Well, not quite an endorsement, but close:
“I’m just hoping that whatever is in the White House next year is a Republican. I can’t bear to watch what’s happened to our great country. Everybody’s got their head in the sand.

"... Earlier I was completely oblivious as to who Rick Santorum was, but when the dude went home to be with his daughter when she was sick, that was very commendable ..."
Still, Mustaine insists he has not endorsed Santorum.

Christopher Blosser writes: "Mustaine's always been something of an enigma in the metal world. One of the top 100 metal guitarists in the world, he was kicked out of Metallica in the 80's for being a 'mean drunk' (hard to do, given Metallica's penchant for imbibing), tried the "7 steps" program but found it a distraction and decided to head straight for God in a Pascalian wager:
"“Looking up at the cross, I said six simple words, ‘What have I got to lose?’ Afterwards my whole life has changed. It’s been hard, but I wouldn’t change it for anything. Rather go my whole life believing that there is a God and find out there isn't than live my whole life thinking there isn't a God and then find out, when I die, that there is."
"Politically he's very conservative," says Christopher -- almost "fringe-right." His album Endgame, he says, was influenced by the conspiracy theorist Alex Jones). "In 2011, he called President Obama 'the most divisive president we've ever had. I've never, in my 50 years of being alive, listened to an American president try and turn one class of people against another class of people.'"

Still, probably not the kind of guy Rick Santorum would want for a photo op, but you never know these days ...

[Hat tip to C.B.]

3 comments:

Jeff Miller said...

By the way it is "Megadeth" not "Megadeath".

Now I am a long time fan and I was quite happy to hear of his conversion to some form of Christianity and while his conservatism is a bit out there in parts, there are certainly parts I agree with. His album "United Abominations" as a critque of the UN in regards to the so-called war on terror has much to recommend it.

Chris Garton-Zavesky said...

Philip,

He might benefit from the endorsement in this way: Mustaine could hardly make the claim to being a squeaky-clean, boring conservative. The media have claimed for months that Santorum has no appeal outside of a tiny fraction of the fringe of Republican Right-Wingers. Ann Coulter calls him not-really-a-conservative. Evidence that people who have not already imbibed the social-conservative agenda could be positively helpful.

Anonymous said...

Social Conservatives do not ever vote to fund planned parenthood me thinks. I wonder if the Lord buys the line "politics is a team sport".

Donna