Saturday, January 23, 2010

Priestly vocations: from every walk of life

"A's prospect leaving baseball for call of the priesthood" (Yahoo Sports, January 22, 2010):
Well, here's a story you don't see every day.

Grant Desme, a 23-year-old minor league outfielder in Oakland's system, is retiring from baseball to follow a calling into the Catholic priesthood.

...Desme was ranked the A's eighth-best prospect by Baseball America after hitting .288 with 31 home runs and 89 RBIs in A ball in 2009 and he was just named MVP of the Arizona Fall League.
Said Desme:
"I'm doing well in baseball. But I had to get down to the bottom of things, to what was good in my life, what I wanted to do with my life. Baseball is a good thing, but that felt selfish of me when I felt that God was calling me more. It took awhile to trust that and open up to it and aim full steam toward him ... I love the game, but I'm going to aspire to higher things."
[Hat tip to E.B.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also good to note, with a hat tip to Fr. Z: Mr. Desme is part of the local Latin Mass community. God bless.